The Internet’s fascination with April Fool’s Day continues, even though the news on any typical day is so outrageous that it already feels made up. Having companies pick a single day of the year to mess with your mind is beginning to lose some of its punch. Regardless, some of these pranks can be pretty fun and creative, even of you automatically know they are fake.
Here is a collection of some the notable pranks for 2016.
- Redbox is hiring! Be the person who sits inside the machine, handing out movies and taking returns.
- Craftsman is offering a kitchen chainsaw.
- Quilted Northern Artisanal “Rustic Weave” Toilet Paper: For a more memorable tree-to-toilet bathroom experience.
- OpenTable Taste: Can’t decide on a restaurant? Taste the photos with this lickable app.
- ZumbaRoomba: Housekeeping meets fitness!
- Lexus V-LCRO: Velcro everywhere – the ultimate in auto safety!
- E-surance Election Insurance: Moving to Canada after the election? This policy pays for upkeep of the home you leave behind.
- Not a prank, just a fun thing: Google Maps takes you to FunkyTown!
- April Fool’s Day FAIL: Google Mic Drop. A “mic drop” is when you deliver the perfect conversation-ending slam or insult, and then you walk out. The Google messaging app offered a special SEND button that produced an animation of one of the Minions doing a mic drop. The problem is that people almost always take offense, and then you have to say “just kidding.” But this app literally ended the conversation, making you look like a jerk. “After facing a backlash from users, some of whom accidentally insulted friends, lost jobs and angered colleagues, Google has disabled the feature, just hours after it was launched.” UK Independent.
- April Fool’s Day Warning: This stuff doesn’t play in China. They will have none of your disrespectful Western nonsense!
Side note for 2016… Once again, SEARS knocks it out of the park. I am in the loyalty program, and I received an email this morning saying “Sorry, no special deals today.” Then, you click on it, and it says “Just kidding!” Comedy GOLD, y’all!
So, that’s your April Fool’s Day roundup for 2016. See any that didn’t totally irritate you to death? Let us know over at the MindField Online Facebook page!