Caution: mind-numbing statistics ahead! Discover card has released their annual Holiday Shopping Survey. The survey looks at how much we are spending, on what and for whom. It also has a list of what men and women would most like to receive. Here’s a boildown…
- $100: each family will probably increase their shopping by this much in 2012
- $838: the average amount spent
- $165: how much more women will spend than men.
- 51%: how many actually set a budget for holiday spending
- 42%: men who plan to sell their pocket watches to buy a fancy comb for their wives
- 53%: women who plan to sell their hair to buy chains for their husbands’ pocket watches
I was going to say I made up those last two, but it was actually O. Henry.
Who are we buying for?
- 42% for our children
- 26% for significant other
- 06% for friends
- 01% for boss or co-workers
Where are we shopping?
- 60% some combination of store and online
- 14% majority online
- 96% of online shoppers use their computer, only 4% use tablet or smartphone
What affects our buying decisions?
- 42% sales and promotions
- 27% household financial situation
- 13% getting or losing a job
And the most important question…
What do we want?
Men top 5:
1. Gift cards, 2. Money, 3. Consumer electronics, 4. Games/video games, 5. Apparel
Women top 5:
1. Gift cards, 2. Money, 3. Apparel, 4. Jewelry, 5. Tablet or e-reader
I always say “read the original article for more info” like I am the boss of you or something. But those Top 5’s are actually Top 10’s in the original, and I’m glad I found them! Also, notes on gender: as a great philosopher (Sinbad) once said, “women be shoppin, y’all!” But this article really shows how women are just better at it. Finding bargains, comparison shopping… it was really interesting. Anyway, read the original article for more info! And have a great weekend!