As a writer FOR the web, I spend a lot of time ON the web. For me, April 1st is the most irritating day of the year, and it sneaks up on me every time!! I’m reading something (supposedly) serious like Newsweek.com and I see, “The President then said farewell, boarded the mothership and returned to his home planet.” And I’m like “Grrr! April Fools!” I might as well go play in the street for the rest of the day.
So I guess I can appreciate when businesses try to have a little fun with the concept. I mean, I might as well. They’re not going to stop just for me, and playing in the street is dangerous. So, here are some noble April Fools’ Day efforts from companies trying to get in on the fun and irritation.
2015 highlights include:
- Google backwards! Just go to Com.google !
- Sympathy pregnancy jeans for expecting dads
- The Honda CR-V “Selfie” Edition, featuring 10 cameras
- Roku dating service based on your viewing habits
- T-Mobile family data plan that includes your pets
- Shoes that take selfies (apparently, women are falling for this one!)
- A Samsung galaxy phone that is also a kitchen knife
- Groupon and Uber offer a new taxi service with all-cat drivers!
And, for you Game of Thrones fans…
- A Hodor talking GPS system. Unfortunately, it can only say “Hodor! Hodor!”
Side note for 2015… Companies have poured some big bucks into these fake concepts. Um, except for Sears. I am in the loyalty program, and I received an email this morning saying “MERRY CHRISTMAS!” Then, you click on it, and it says “Just kidding!” Comedy GOLD, y’all!
See any that didn’t totally irritate you to death? Let us know over at the MindField Online Facebook page!