It’s been a long road from there to today’s “$79 a month 200 meg unlimited text 450 anytime minute nights 4G mocha caramel latte weekend rollover” plans. One thing that hasn’t changed is that the carriers never stop trying to sell you 10% better service for 20% more money!
However, there are savings to be had, according to financial guru Dave Ramsey. Here are some tips from his newsletter:
- Use Wi-Fi: For email, surfing and texting. I do this every chance I get, it’s free vs. 3G or 4G
- Skip the insurance: Dave logic – if you can’t afford to replace your phone, you can’t afford the phone to begin with.
- Negotiate: If you have the patience, fine. I find the phone store too depressing to stretch out the experience by haggling.
- No contracts: I have done this twice, and it truly is the way to go. If you know somebody who is ditching their iPhone4 for a 5…buy the 4 from him. Used phone = no contract!
- Read the menu: That is, your phone bill. If you see something that costs money and you never use, get rid of it!
There are more tips at the newsletter (and many other kinds of financial common sense) so check it out.
How about you? Are you happy with your wireless bills? Have any other savings tips? Let us know over at the MindField Online Facebook page. And have a great weekend!