Here’s a recap of a classic blog post from money guru and radio personality Dave Ramsey. He takes a look at folks who always seem to stay in debt. Whether they have money, or not much, they always have too many bills – and they don’t seem to do anything about it.
But what keeps people from getting out of debt? Why would someone want to stay in chains instead of living in freedom? Sadly, there are all sorts of reasons people choose MasterCard over being free from debt. Dave Ramsey Blog
He lists a few reasons. Briefly…
- Keeping up appearances. You’re trying to keep up with the Joneses, but they are probably as underwater as you are!
- Fear of change. Sometimes, it’s the devil you know, right?
- Stuff – Gotta Have It! Some folks need stuff to feel good about themselves, and can’t imagine not having it.
- Unwilling to Sacrifice. He points to eating out all the time and having the full-blown cable TV package.
- They don’t know how. I mean, there’s no way to get out from under this mountain, right? There is almost always a way, you just have to figure it out.
- Laziness. ‘nuff said.
Anyway, this is not an ad for Dave Ramsey, but he does have some ideas at his blog, take ‘em or leave ‘em. What do you think? Do you recognize any of these behaviors in your family or friends? How do they cope? Have you ever been in debt and worked your way out? Tell us about it at the MindField Online Facebook page!