What’s your favorite scam? Mine has to be the infomercials where, if you call now, they will double your order…. “You just pay separate shipping and handling!” Which suggests to me that THAT’S where they are making their money. I have also heard stories of people whose orders were doubled without their permission – as well as the shipping and handling. The remedy, when the company owns up to it, is to return the product for the full refund…but you still pay the S & H! Grrr.
Anyway, they have just published a list of top consumers scams of 2012. The list is from Missouri, but I bet it’s pretty typical. Take a look, listed in order of obnoxiousness!
- NO-CALL COMPLAINTS (39,990 complaints)
- DEBT COLLECTORS (1,769)
- MORTGAGE/FORECLOSURE/LOAN MODIFICATIONS (1,648)
- MAIL AND PHONE SOLICITATIONS (1,432)
- TELPHONE CRAMMING and BILLING (1,165)
- CREDIT AND DEBIT CARD (1,165)
- HOME REPAIR AND REMODELING (928)
- PUBLICATIONS AND MAGAZINE SALES (823)
- CABLE/SATELLITE SERVICES (670)
- AUTOMOBILE REPAIR (641)
Interesting that Do Not Calls are by far the biggest complaint, when that is the area the government has been attacking the hardest for years. Again, technology has made it easier to get around the laws.
The article has several tips and tricks and numbers/websites to call to get help. So check it out!
So, again, what’s your favorite scam-ola? Let us know!