I love lists like these because people take them so personally. “You’re wrong, stupid and ugly!”, etc. Nevertheless, an article has been published citing the 27 Foods You Should Never Buy Again.
Looking down the list, these no-no foods seem to fall in a few categories:
- Luxury items, where quality is high, but so is the price, and you could make them yourself for much less.
- Healthy items, where price can be high, and where a negative element is often replaced by a different negative element with less bad press.
- Convenience items that you can almost always make yourself for less, and are packed with preservatives.
So, let’s take a look at some highlights…
- “Blueberry” items: Fad foods, yay! All it takes is for someone to say “Blueberries are BURSTING with anti-oxidants” and, suddenly, blueberries are in everything. Problem is, it’s usually just blueberry flavor with none of the supposed benefits!
- Reduced fat peanut butter: A recurring theme: they take out a vital ingredient and claim you won’t notice the difference. Here, what they take out is fat. What they add so you won’t notice the difference is sugar.
- Tomato-based pasta sauces: My favorite on the list. I abandoned the name brand jars of spaghetti sauce long ago in favor of Walmart’s “Italian style (basil, oregano & garlic) diced tomatoes” in the can.
- Energy drinks: Just stick to coffee. If you nod off in the afternoon and Robert Goulet sneaks into your office and messes with your stuff, well, that’s entertaining, at least.
- Gluten-free baked goods: Unless you are diagnosed with gluten intolerance or celiac disease, you are participating in another food fad. You are paying higher prices, eating ingredients that are bad in different ways, and getting no benefit.
- Foods made of WOOD: You’ll have to read this for yourself. Keyword: cellulose.
- ‘Gourmet’ frozen vegetables: Frozen peas? Cheapest thing you can buy. Frozen peas with 11 herbs and spices and a rich creamy saffron butter sauce? Not so much!
- Premium frozen fruit bars: Come on! Ice tray, fruit juice, Saran wrap, and tooth picks. DONE!
- Spice mixes: Dudes fall into this trap most often with grilling or barbecue “rubs.” Wise up, dudes!
- Trail mix: Been making our own for years using raisins, peanuts and coconut shavings. Wouldn’t call it healthy, but it’s cheap!
- ‘Snack’ or ‘lunch’ packs: Don’t forget to pack your lunch…full of salt and preservatives!!
And there are 16 more on the list, so check it out, give us your opinion, and have a great weekend!
4 thoughts on “Don’t Buy These Foods?”
Love the Goulet reference. Its pretty funny how people argue with lists that people create. They seem to harp on one or two of the items and tell you how wrong you are for whatever reason.
Thank you – some of these I am already wise enough to not be doing, but a few I was unaware that I was being taken to the bank. Thanks for the heads up!
thanks for the comment jenn!
Comments are closed.