Looking to cut back? Time Magazine has compiled a list of items and services “You Should Just Stop Buying.” Take a look!
- Homeopathic Flu Remedies: the CDC says they don’t work.
- Credit-Card Payment Insurance: expensive and with a bunch of restrictions and exclusions.
- Dirt-Cheap Paper Towels: they don’t work and you end up using more of them
- Bottled Water: expensive and often misleading, i.e., it’s NOT real spring water.
- Premium Gasoline: unless you drive a really high-performance car, it’s a waste of money.
- Super-High SPF Sunscreen: unless you are prone to skin cancer. SPF 30 blocks about 97% of UVB rays.
- Auto Service Warranties: Again, expensive and contain many restrictions and exclusions.
- 100-Calorie Packs of Snack Foods: Portion control is a great idea, but buy the big box and some baggies, and save a bunch of money!
- Lottery Tickets: you are 3 times more likely to be hit by a meteor than to win the lottery.
- Unlimited Cell Phone Minutes: these plans are one reason why our cell bills have gone up $20 in the past 5 years, even though we aren’t really talking any longer.
- Brand New College Textbooks: Grrr! I am still resentful about this one after 20 years!
- Extended Warranties: A lot of the time, these are redundant, and you can get similar coverage from your credit card for free. Exception: your laptop. Every one I ever owned broke down after the warranty expired!
Much more info in the article…check it out!